Dr Umar Sharif has been placing dental Implants at Portway Dental practice since 2018, using the renowned Straumann implants. Straumann were founded in 1954, with headquartered in Basel, Switzerland. They are a pioneer and global leader in implant dentistry and oral tissue regeneration.
These benefits include:
- Restoring the mouth as closely as possible to its natural state
- Increasing comfort by eliminating loose fitting dentures
- Avoid filing down healthy neighbouring teeth (as with a conventional bridge)
- Preserve facial structure by virtually stopping deterioration of the jaw
Find out more Straumann Dental Implants
What are Dental Implants?
Implants are an excellent option available to us. Implants can replace one missing tooth to multiple missing teeth. A titanium implant is small and it is fitted into the jaw bone; a tooth can be placed on to the implant.
Implants can be used to replace a single tooth with a crown, more than one tooth as a bridge (these are fixed) and dental implants can also hold dentures in place (removable but with extra support).
An initial consultation will take place to assess your current dental health, discuss your needs and concerns, a detailed medical history and suitability for a dental implant will also be assessed. There can be some restrictions regarding certain medications which may be contra-indications for implant surgery.
A full examination will take place, x-rays, study models (impressions) will be taken and a referral for a CT scan will be made/ A CT scan assesses bone density and volume.
What does the dental implant procedure involve?
This is a straightforward procedure. Local anaesthetic is used and the actual procedure takes around 1 hour. There will be some mild discomfort after the procedure and pain relief/post care advice will be given.
A three to six month healing period is required after the implant surgery. After this time period, impressions can be taken to have the tooth placed on to the implant. This will be a crown/bridge depending on how many implants have been placed.
This is the exciting part… 2 weeks later you will have a fully functioning tooth that feels and looks like your own!
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- They merge with your body
- They maintain your smile giving you a fully functioning tooth and an excellent visual appearance
- They preserve your facial structure by maintaining bone in the area of placement, therefore maintaining bone and reducing the risk of the bone receding
- The neighboring teeth are not used as in a conventional bridge, this enables these teeth to be preserved with the benefit of no loss of tooth structure.
If you are from Altrincham, Wythenshawe, Hale, Heald Green and Timperley or nearby communities and looking for dental implant treatment, please contact us to book an appointment.